Friday, October 24, 2008

Adjusting to Life

As I'm sure most of you know, David & I just got married a month ago. It's been pretty fun so far, though there have definitely been some adjustments in this whole new living situation.

First of all, I think we do the dishes about half as often as we used to. Probably because there are no roommates to complain, but 2 & 3 days' worth of dishes in the sink is still no fun business.

We go to bed a lot earlier now. I think I've been in bed before 11pm more times in this past month than I probably have in the past 5 years. Seriously. Oh, and speaking of sleeping, one of the biggest adjustments I've had to make is sleeping so close to someone else. Before, when I had the luxury of sprawling out like a flying squirrel, I would toss & thrash in my sleep a lot, yet I slept like a brick. I never woke up in the middle of the night. Since getting situated in this new apartment & sharing sleeping space, I've managed to wake up most nights at least 2 or 3 times during the night. I think it's because I'm subconsciously aware of the fact that I could rocket David right out of bed with one swift kick, so I wake up instead, turn over nicely & attempt to fall back asleep (which usually takes about 5 minutes or so). I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it, though.

We still don't have a vacuum cleaner in our apartment, so little crumblies & lints end up everywhere, which I attempt to pick up by hand. I get kind of lazy about that too, though.

We also have a teenie weenie trash can in the kitchen, which calls for a trip to the dumpster at least every other day.

And, as luck would have it, we are now down to one car. David's Blazer is now no longer drivable, so we've been carpooling to work. It's been working out so far, but we are looking into getting a second little clunker just to get us through until we can manage to get something a little bit nicer.

Oh, and we haven't turned on the gas in our apartment yet, so we are in a constant state of 67 degrees, which, with the wind & such, makes it feel quite frosty inside more often than not.

...hmm. Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm complaining about things, because we are actually having quite a bit of fun. We've met most of our neighbors & they all seem pretty nice. David has stayed on top of his classes even though he missed a week and a half of the semester with the wedding & all. I've been going through all of the hoops of officially changing my last name. I just received my new SS Card today. My name is so long now that they actually had to put my last name on a second line. Also, my new driver's license should be here this week. I'm still getting used to people having no idea how to say or spell my name too.

I'll keep you updated on how everything goes. So far, so good. :)

9 comments:

Golden Spidey said...

"Ha ha!" You have to adjust...
Actually, I just wanted to be the first to leave a comment on your new, shiny blog.
Glad things are going well.

Julina said...

I'm so glad you decided to start a blog. I think it's a great way to keep everyone informed and you don't have to worry about trying to remember to email everyone. Cuz we know I'm horrible at that! :) I'm glad that everything is going well for you guys.

Lisa Lou said...

Josh's car died right after we got married too. That was right after I crashed my car before the wedding. I guess it's some sort of right of passage or something into the married life.

I can't wait to kick it with you today!! See you soon.

Megan said...

Do you remember when Rich would walk from our apartment to 311 to borrow your vaccuum? We were supposed to be waiting 2 months for my sisters junkers that were supposed to get them through college and it ended up being 6!

Sarah Ragatz said...

Yeah! I'm glad you started a blog so I can keep up with your life. Adjusting sure is fun. You'll probably get your sleep pattern back to normal just in time to decide to have kids and screw it all up again!f

Brent Fredrickson said...

Oh no, neither Aubrey's car nor mine has any problem (except there is still residue on my windows from certain decorations) I hope we'll be OK...

Tiff I should know this, but do you have 4 names now, ie did you have a middle name before you got married? Aubrey has four names now totaling a whopping 30 letters.

Tiffany said...

Umm... yes, I suppose I do have 4 names now... Tiffany Marie Atwell Tertipes, which equals (wait while I count...) 26 letters. Not quite as many, but close. :)

Naught Whaught said...

Yay!!! Blogging is fun! I may just have to put the ol' jumper cables back on Doers Unite and see if I can raise it from the dead.

Lanay said...

Yeah, you have a blog now!! Yahoo!! I love it!!