Friday, August 20, 2010

Sleep

I. Need. Sleep.

I'm guessing that this is just another one of those pregnancy things that everyone has to deal with, but I've never had issues with sleeping before. I've always slept pretty soundly. When David & I got married, I did have a little issue adjusting with sleeping next to him since I thought my tossing & turning might end up kicking him right out of bed, but I adjusted to that easily enough. Now I'm on to a whole new set of challenges.

1.) No More Tummy Sleeping :: This part makes me want to cry. I absolutely love sleeping on my tummy! It's so comfy. Well, it was until about a month ago. Even before then I was scared to lay on it too much as it might flatten my baby boy or something, but I could still get away with doing it. Not anymore. Now I have to mostly sleep on one of my sides & it always hurts my shoulder after a while, even if I use extra pillows for support. This leads me into my second point...

2.) Tossing & Turning :: Now, I move around at night even more because of my aching shoulders, hips & whatnot because I can't sleep on my tummy. This isn't me just moving around in my sleep. My aching will wake me up & beg for me to adjust my position because I'm either in pain or one of my limbs has seriously fallen asleep. And when I do adjust, it pulls really hard on my sensitive baby-holding muscles down there. And it really hurts.

3.) Getting Up to Pee :: I usually never got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, but now, it happens at least once a night; sometimes twice. It wouldn't bother me so much if I was able to simply crawl back into bed & fall asleep again. Not so much. If I get up, it'll usually take me 2 - 3 hours to fall back asleep completely. If it's after 4am when I get up, I can kiss any chance of more good sleep for the night goodbye. I'll still lay there resting, but I'll be much more alert than I should be, which causes me to think about stuff, which is the last thing I want to do. I just want more sleep!

I guess I'm just being prepared for the sleepless nights ahead. But at least then, I'll have a husband to help & it won't feel like I don't have any control over my own body. I haven't experienced that sort of sleeplessness yet, but at least I'll have more time to catch a nap here & there. Now, I'm getting little good sleep & then have to get up for a 10 hour work day. Blech.

Sorry to be complainy. No sleep does that to me.

2 comments:

Sarah Ragatz said...

I hear ya! Pregnancy kind of does that. Beware... After my 2nd baby the achiness/tossing/turning at night never went away. I sure hope its better for you! Now I'm happy if I only wake up once in the night even though my baby PRETTY MUCH sleeps through the night.

The Stewarts said...

I remember all that fun. ;) The thing that helped me the most was sleeping in a recliner. It stinks not being able to sleep next to my hubby, but it helped me to actually sleep.