Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Finally!

All right. Here it is. The final word on what's going on with our little guy.

So I had my 37 week appointment today with my regular doctor, Dr Parker. Just as I suspected, our little boy was still breech, so he presented us with a whole bunch of options as far as what we could do to make sure that he was born safe. Since Dr Parker has been delivering babies well before I was born, he let us know that he'd "seen it all & done it all" & that we could take whichever course we wanted, but let us know the risks & benefits to all of it. When it was all said & done, we decided that we would schedule a day to be admitted into the hospital to see if Dr Parker could get the baby to flip around. I really want to avoid a c-section & this was the best way to try to eliminate that possibility. If he's successful (which has about a 50-60% success rate in first time mothers), then they would go straight ahead with an induction that day. If he's unable to get him to turn around, then they would proceed with the c-section. The nice thing about scheduling this is that they are going to hook me up & get everything ready as if they are going to do a c-section so that if it comes to it, they are already completely prepared for surgery.

And the date that we go in? November 20. That's in 11 days! So crazy! We are really excited, but now that we have a definite date that he's going to come, it makes everything much more real & in-your-face. I have a lot of preparing to do!

That date ends up working out perfectly with my work as well as with when my mom was already scheduled to come out to visit us & with David's work / school schedules. It's nice to not have to worry about the surprise of it all & knowing how things will work out (to a small degree).

We are super excited to meet our little boy so soon! And we can't wait to tell you all about it when he gets here! :)

9 comments:

Sarah Ragatz said...

Hey, my sister in law had to have her first baby turned around by the doctor too. For her it was successful, yet painful. So I really hope it works for you!

Mary said...

Dr. Parker delivered our little MIllie, and he is amazing! There's just something comforting about hearing your doctor say that he had delivered over 7000 babies.

Good luck and Congrats! There's nothing more fun!

Jenny said...

Ooh, that's so wonderful to hear! I hope little guy cooperates! If not, I'm glad your mom will be here, and that everything will work out! I love you! I can't wait to see your little man!!! He's going to be gorgeous! <3 I love you!!!

Kate Buhler said...

How exciting! I was kinda hoping he'd come on out on my birthday (24th) but I'm just happy things are going well. I'm so excited for you guys. Lots of Love to you!!! :D

Kate Buhler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rookie Blog said...

I had to have a C-section with Alexa because she was breech. I've heard just doing it is a lot less painful than trying to turn it. Mine was no problem. She came out beautiful and perfect. My recovery was a little longer than my vaginal with Rook, but not much. The incision is puffy for a long time but that's normal.

Tiffany said...

They said they would give me a low dose of anesthesia while he tries to turn him, so I'm hoping that the pain won't be much of an issue. :)

Lisa Summerhays said...

Woohoo!! Way excited for the two, I mean three of you. :) Can't wait to meet him!

Lanay said...

Grant was # 6,822 Dr Parker delivered. Everything will be okey-dokey even if it is a c-section. My prayers are with you, and I can't wait to see pictures of your little one.=)