Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Brand New Stuff

It's a brand new year with our brand new family and little James is constantly doing brand new stuff.

He started smiling more regularly. It hasn't been a whole lot, but for the past week, I've caught him smiling at least once a day. It isn't prompted by anything yet -- it completely happens at random -- but it's still pretty stinkin' cute. I've been trying to get a picture or video of his cute little grin to share, but since they're so random & fleeting, I still have yet to capture it!

He keeps growing like a good little boy, too! We graduated out of premie diapers last week & into the newborn size. At 5.5 weeks, he finally grew out of premies? Someone has a skinny little bum. (No joke.) His little white newborn size onesies are starting to get a little snug, so I'm sure he'll be out of those soon, too. (The rest of his newborn size clothing fits just great, though!) I guess I'm just getting excited about this since we've been doing everything possible to make sure that he gains the right amount of weight considering that he didn't gain any for his first two weeks of life. It's a little sad, too. My baby boy is getting bigger!

A couple of weeks ago, we also noticed that James had what looked like baby acne. After a few days, I called his pediatrician's office & talked to a nurse. I described what his face looked like & she assured me that it was just baby acne & that it would go away all on its own. Then I took him in to get weighed the following week. (He gained a whole pound in two weeks! Woo!) His face had gotten worse & it started to look like he was having some sort of allergic reaction. His skin was getting redder, the bumps were getting closer together, it started traveling down his neck & his brow line started looking dry & crusty. She had me see one of the other pediatricians in the office (as his doctor wasn't in) & he told me that it was a common newborn rash that isn't harmful & would go away by the time he's about 3 months old. So no biggie. He just looks like a little crust ball. :) It's actually started to get better already, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

We had a nice three day weekend together this past weekend. Now that I don't work on Saturdays (& David hasn't for quite some time), we were able to spend all day Saturday, Sunday & yesterday together as a family.

School started back up for BYU today. David only has classes on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, so he doesn't technically start classes until tomorrow. However, he works all day on Tuesdays & Thursdays, so he started his new job today. Well, it's sort of a new job. His previous job position is relocating to Salt Lake & will no longer be a student position, so BYU offered to transfer these affected employees to other on-campus jobs at their current pay rates so that they didn't all become unemployed due to the transition. David's new job is basically the same as his old one, but instead of doing technical support for Church employees & volunteers, he'll be doing the same thing for BYU students & faculty members. We're very grateful that he was able to keep his current pay rate. He had his previous position for three years. If BYU hadn't been generous in that way, David would have had to have taken a serious pay cut since he would have had to start from the bottom all over again.

Also, I know I mentioned this before, but we talked to our Bishop & decided to have James' baby blessing on Sunday, January 16th. Both David & I have this feeling about baby blessing outfits -- you know, the white silky formal ones (like this one). We're really not that into them. So we bought a little outfit for him yesterday at Wal-Mart. For $5. And it's blue, not white. It's a pretty basic, normal-looking baby outfit. We didn't want to spend $40-$50 on a not-so-attractive formal outfit that he will only wear for a couple of hours (if that). Anyway, we are pretty excited for this. We don't have any family members who can participate in his blessing, so we've invited some close friends to do so. This should be a really special event for our family.

Anyway, that was kind of a lot of "new stuff". I'm sure we've got more stuff, but I can't give you all the good stuff in one blog post. You'd stop reading my blog. Plus, I can't think of anything else right now. :)

3 comments:

Megan said...

Jack wore khakis and a white polo. I can't remember what Kate wore but it was just normal clothing. Ryders blessing circle was 3 guys. He didn't figure he and his Dad could do it all by themselves so he asked a random person to help.

Sarah said...

You're funny.

Oh You Know.... said...

Wow. For a minute I thought you WERE going to have him in that weird satin conductor's outfit. I'm glad you aren't.