Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 8 :: A Moment

After writing my last post, I started to think about all of the moments that I've had with David. The one that keeps coming to mind as I think about what to write here was from back before we started officially dating.

After meeting David, we became friends fairly quick, especially since I was already friends with most of his roommates. We started to hang out together all the time & most of the people in our ward were just "waiting for us to get our act together".

I was the Relief Society president at the time. Being in a small single's ward meant that everyone knew our business. And by everyone, I mean including the Bishopric & other ward leadership. Anyway, we had a High Councilor in our ward, Bro Oldroyd, who was especially fabulous & always took an interest in the lives of the people in the ward.

One day in late March -- actually, on Easter Sunday -- David & I were having dinner together in his apartment (as friends) when he told me that Bro Oldroyd had asked him if we were dating. Obviously, David tells me this to see if I would respond positively to this news (which I did), but he still doesn't say anything about wanting to start dating, nor does he make any sort of move. Sheesh!

So the next day, I decide that I've had enough of this "friends" business (I mean, after all, eight months is a heck of a long time!), so I went over to his apartment as usual. After we had been hanging out for a while, I said, "Let's go for a walk." Before we were even away from our apartment complex, I turned to him & said, "Are we dating yet?"

His response? "Do you want to be?"

Really, boy?

Needless to say, that's when we started dating & the rest is history. It just always makes me giggle to think about this moment. And I like to tease David about how lucky he is that I took the initiative. Actually, I like to tease him about that a lot.

I love my formerly socially awkward husband. :)

5 comments:

Jordan and Amanda said...

Ok, this makes me laugh because it sounds REALLY familiar...

Jordan went hiking "as friends" and when we were at the top, I made the first move, and suddenly we were cuddling...

The first thing I said, "What took you so long?"

oh boys. They're lucky we're 20th century women!

Araignée said...

'Twas my wife who first asked me out, so I'm not complaining...

By the way, does Bro. Oldroyd live not far north of the Marriott Center? If so, he's family to my wife...

Tiffany said...

I went to his home once for a RS activity & he lived just north of the MTC. That was quite a while ago, though.

... said...

Love the blog and I love the idea of 20 different things to blog about in 30 days. I think I just might accept your invitation!

Lisa Summerhays said...

You go girl! i thoroughly enjoyed your post. I swear boys are extra slow. I had to make the first move with Josh too.