Thursday, July 7, 2011

Late Bloomer?

This time, I'm not talking about James. I'm talking about me.

Today, I had a presentation in my Forming Marital Relationships class. It had to be 30 minutes long, professional in nature and on the topic to which I was assigned. I'm pretty sure that I did well. There are only 9 students in this class (including myself), the professor and the TA. When my presentation was finished, I got compliments from most of the students in the class about how much they enjoyed my presentation, which made me feel great. Even the TA told me, as we were walking out of class together, that I was a "natural presenter". Awesome! Now, I'm not trying to brag about my public speaking skills or anything. This experience just made me a little reflective.

On Sunday, I'll be turning 30.

What the...? Where did my 20s go? Who took them? They can't be over already. I guess that this milestone has made me realize that not only do I have a good life, but it took me a little longer than most people to "get there". Not that there is really a place of arrival that one must get to in this life, but I just realized that I did everything much later than it seems most people do things. Here I am, graduating college at 30, even though I started at 18. When my friends were getting married and having babies, I was still single and rockin' the cool friend-aunt role like any awesome single friend would do. I didn't end up getting married until I was 27 and didn't have my first baby until I was 29.

And you know what... I don't regret anything.

Why?

Seven or eight years ago, I'm sure that I wouldn't have been able to rock that presentation nearly as well. Not that I would have been bad at it, but I've gained a lot of confidence in myself during those earlier years. Being single during much of my young adult years allowed me to grow as an individual in many ways. I notice that I act far more confident in my classes now than I ever did back in the day. I say more of what's on my mind without the fear of looking silly. I was able to manage a business for 5+ years, which helped me to develop skills, knowledge and even more confidence.

All of these things that I've learned have helped me to be a better wife and mother. I know I'm not perfect now, but I feel better prepared for life, even if it took me a few extra years than everyone else to reach this point.

I just feel very free being able to say that I have no regrets. I have NO regrets. It feels great.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You are awesome Tiff! I love you girl! :)