Monday, January 16, 2012

Bank Holidays + Fotogenix = Mega Disasters

Labor Day, 2007:  I got a call that morning (which was my long-awaited day off for that week) from my boss saying that I needed to go into work because there was a major catastrophe.  The University Mall, where our studio was then located, had suffered from some serious structural and water damage due to the main water line bursting underneath the mall.

Why did I have to come in, you ask?

a.)  I was the store manager at the time.
b.)  That main water line ran right underneath the entire length of our store.

It pretty much destroyed our entire store.  The walls had shifted and cracked due to the fact that the floor above the water main was completely buckled up and we ended up having to move to a different location outside of the mall so that they could tear it down and rebuild.  Awesome.

Fast forward...

MLK Day, 2012:  I get to work a little bit early and see that there is a portrait order laying flat on the floor in a really random spot.  As I walk over to see what it is and why it's lying there, I feel a pretty heavy draft.  I look around the counter, only to find this:

Seriously?!

Honestly, my first thought was, "Holy crap!"  After calling the police, I got to thinking about it and realized that that glass was some seriously heavy duty stuff, double paned and is tinted from the outside.  Whoever did this had to have known what they were doing or what they were after.  The officer who responded seemed to be thinking the same thing.  He fingerprinted the till drawer and called the owner to speak with him, but other than that, there wasn't much else that could be done.  Whoever broke in was really only after the cash.  They didn't take any equipment or anything else.

then...

So I'm photographing a session later on in the day, after the craziness of the break-in has died down, only to have the shutter on our camera (translation: our only camera) start going haywire on me.  I made it through just fine, with only a couple of ruined images.  No biggie.  A coworker of mine also successfully photographed another session right after that without any problems.  However, when I went to photograph my last session of the day, the shutter completely went out.  I felt so bad because there was nothing that I could do and we didn't have another camera in the studio at that time (as one is in the shop being fixed and cleaned right now).  I told the client, who was really nice about the whole situation, that we might have to reschedule.  It turned out that she came all the way from Vernal (about 2 hours away), so I told her that if she'd wait for about 20-30 minutes, I could run home and grab my personal camera to finish her session, for which she was very grateful.  Everything turned out fine.

And after nearly 10 hours of insanity, I'm finally home.

If I never, ever, ever, ever, ever have another day like that, I won't be too sad.

1 comment:

Michael and Mindee said...

My gosh that was a rough day! Sorry, hope you don't have a day like that again for a long long time!