Friday, August 10, 2012

People Read For Fun?

Yes!  People totally do that sort of thing.  And I'm that sort of person.  Because I also married another one of those people who loves to read, I have a good number of books on my shelves that I haven't read at all.

What?  Unread books?  In your house?!  That's outrageous!

I know.  That's what I was thinking, too!  So, I'm making myself a list of books that I own, but have never read, and would like to read by the end of the year.

If you've been following my blog for a while, you might remember my attempt to do something similar a few years back where I failed spectacularly.  Well, that's not gonna happen this time!  You know why?  Because I'm not cold starting on a huge list after not having read for a while.  I recently finished reading all seven books of the Harry Potter series and, just tonight, finished my first Agatha Christie novel.  So, I'm kind of on a roll right now.

This is going to be my August to December reading goal.  I know that it's already the tenth of August, but since I just finished a Murder on the Orient Express for the first time and started it only last week, I'll be certainly counting it.  Woo hoo!  One book down already!  See?  I told you I wouldn't fail again! :)

Okay, so without further ado, here is my reading list:

  1. Murder on the Orient Express  by Agatha Christie
  2. The Picture of Dorian Gray  by Oscar Wilde
  3. Fahrenheit 451  by Ray Bradbury
  4. Little Women  by Louisa May Alcott
  5. Alice In Wonderland  by Lewis Carroll
  6. The Catcher in the Rye  by JD Salinger
  7. Sophie's World  by Jostein Gaarder
  8. Wizard for Hire: Storm Front  by Jim Butcher
  9. Wizard for Hire: Fool Moon  by Jim Butcher
  10. Wizard for Hire: Grave Peril  by Jim Butcher

I know, I know... most of these are classics that I should have read in high school, but for whatever reason, never needed to.  Now I want to read them.  The last three books are a fun series that David thinks I will like, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm going to create a separate tab on my blog here so that I can keep track of my progress.  (And you can too!... you know, if you actually care that much.)  Also know that I'm not going to necessarily read them in this listed order, that way, I can read what I feel like reading at the time and not feel forced to complete this goal in a rigid way.  I like my flexibility. :)

Also, if anyone has suggestions of good books, particularly classics or fiction, that you think I will like, go ahead and comment.  I might add them to this or some future list!

All right... here I go!

1 comment:

Jessica Havican said...

oooh I've been wanting to read Little Women! I think I may finally get around to doing it. A couple months ago, the book club I'm in read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I absolutely loved it! It's a historical fiction book shrouded in mystery. But it bounces back between present day, the 70's and the early 1900's. Good luck on tackling your list!