Monday, February 4, 2013

James' Latest Obsession

Just like anyone else's child, James goes through phases of obsession.  Usually, he gets obsessed with something on TV or a book.  Occasionally, it's a toy or a song.  But mostly, it's something on TV.  I try to limit James' amount of television each day, but some days are better than others.

Right now, he's completely enthralled with the Disney movie, Brave.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that we've watched it nearly every day for the past month or so.  But you know what?  This is one movie obsession that I don't mind at all.

I absolutely love this movie.  This is way better than when he was obsessed with watching Cars 2 every single day.  I think he gets his Cars fix from playing with his plethora of Cars toys.  I like it that way.

He's also in love with the cartoon Super Why! right now as well.  It's not as bad as Brave, but he'll usually ask to watch an episode each day.  Some days, I'll let him.  His maximum TV time for each day is 2 hours (as that's the recommended limit set by the AAP, so I adopted it), which means that him watching Brave and Super Why! in one day makes for 2 hours of TV.  I try to keep it lower when I can, but since he's such an active boy and since we read so much, I don't feel bad about it, especially since his TV time is scattered throughout the day.  And some days, we don't watch any TV at all because we're running errands or playing outside or doing something else that distracts James from the television.  I try to make that happen at least once a week.

So, what are the obsessions in your house?  I can't be the only one with this phenomenon.

6 comments:

Jordan and Amanda said...

Right now, out of nowhere, Clara suddenly LOVES princesses. I wasn't that mom who bought or watched any of the Disney princess stuff, but her cousins came to stay with us and they had these beautiful dress nightgowns they called their "princess pajamas" and Clara became obsessed. Then Grandma Hull sent 6 princess figurines, and Clara is officially in love. She talks about princesses, wants to wear dresses because that means she's princess (I swear I am not encouraging this), and wants to watch princess movies. It's so disconcerting because it's so girly! Which is fine, but so surprising (and cute).

Jenny said...

At James'age Andy was all about the Toy Story trilogy. I did not mind because I love those movies!! Right now he is all about Super Heroes!! Iron Man is his favorite! He's also into Transformers. :-) Kids are so fun!

Jenny said...

At James'age Andy was all about the Toy Story trilogy. I did not mind because I love those movies!! Right now he is all about Super Heroes!! Iron Man is his favorite! He's also into Transformers. :-) Kids are so fun!

Tiffany Tertipes said...

This is why we are friends. :) I would be the mom not encouraging Princess-love either (which is probably why God gave me a boy) but accepting it anyway.

Jessica Havican said...

The Lorax! Every. Single.Day. and Dora. Hence why we are having a Lorax party for Janen's birthday. It's going to be so much fun! Janen even made Ted and The Oncler her imaginary friends. Along with Blue Guy of course. It's fun to watch her go on adventures with them around the house.

Megan said...

We have been stuck on Cars for a good year or more. Luckily it is cars 1 not 2, that one was awful. I think it is starting to fade though, finally. Amanda you will have to give me some pointers on how to handle the princess love. I am sure it will come and it scares me!