Monday, February 10, 2014

Those Pesky Do-Gooders

For those of you who don't know, we live in a town home.  There are four homes in our building.  The buildings are grouped in threes and share a common front yard area.  So basically, up to twelve families can share the same yard around here.

With that said, we've got about twelve inches of ice-crusted snow all over our front yard and walkways right now.  Since it was snowing yesterday, maintenance still hasn't been by to clear the sidewalks.  Honestly, I'd do it myself if we owned a snow shovel.  I haven't taken James out in this mess since we ventured outside earlier last week and discovered that the poor kid wasn't even heavy enough to make a dent in the frozen snow while attempting to make a snow angel.  It was so tiring for him to walk back from the mailbox (which is just on the other side of the yard) that he had to sit down and rest in the snow three times before we made it back to the door.

This is James playing in the snow last week.  Notice the dent that he is NOT making (in that top picture) by laying on a foot of frozen snow?

If it looks like he made marks in the snow in the lower right photo, it's because he laid in an area where he'd just been walking.
* * *

At any rate, I just spotted a kid, who couldn't be older than about twelve years old, shoveling the walkways so that his family could get out of their home.

Although it was awesome of him to do that, I was wondering why our maintenance crew hasn't come to do that yet (which they are usually good about), so I called the office to ask about it.  I talked to the office manager and she said that their plan was to get to it today, but things were going slow because, not only could they not use their snowblowers because of the ice on the sidewalks, but a lot of people were having frozen pipe emergencies that they had to take care of first.  Understandable.  However, while we were talking, I briefly mentioned that there was an awesome young boy out there shoveling.  She reassured me that they'd try to get to our sidewalks today, but she added, "...but I can't make him stop shoveling."

Wait, what?

Are there actually people who call in to stop kids from shoveling their snowy, icy sidewalks?

I was kind of stunned for a second.  I let her know that I thought it was awesome that he was shoveling out there, but he just looked like he was struggling with it because of the ice and that it just prompted me to call and ask.

And, well, I guess it pays off to call because there are now three maintenance crew members out there shoveling our sidewalks.  That was fast.

Don't get me wrong; I think that shoveling snow is a rite of passage for every kid, but one lone preteen shouldn't have to do for free what three grown men are paid to do.  Am I right, or am I just being weird?

No comments: